What's in a name?

Haddy Nuff?  Me too.  That's why I chose it as my blogger name.  After 20 years of education and nearly 30 years spent in the corporate world I decided I had enough.  Time to do something else, or nothing, or whatever comes along.  This blog is dedicated to living life one day at a time - and trying my best to make the most of it.

Monday, February 1, 2010

A 'Most Difficult' Day

This past weekend was a busy one at the ski area due to a number of counties in neighboring Virginia being on a 4-day school holiday.  I had a collection of kids to teach each day.  Friday was the most challenging with 2 boys and 3 girls; 4 of them having never been on skis before.  Today was the other end of the spectrum.  Two girls, Allison and Leila.  
Alli and Leila were in my group with other kids on Saturday and Sunday, but today it was just the two of them and we were able to ski just about anywhere.  This is a picture taken just before they went down their first Black Diamond run...ever.  I wish I had a picture of Alli's face when we eased over the edge on the steepest part of the trail.  Her jaw literally dropped.  "That's steep!" she said.

"Yes it is," I said, "but not if you go across the trail instead of straight down.  Follow me."  That's all it took.  The two of them stayed in my tracks all the way to the bottom without so much as one slipped ski edge.  Here they are finishing the run down the blue section of the trail.


At the end of the day Leila's mom asked me, "Is this all you do?  Teach skiing?"  I explained that was about it these days.  "Retired," I explained.  "Nice," she replied.   I gave them a copy of the video.  Collected my tip (two hugs - one each from Alli and Leila), and went home to watch the sun set below the ridge.  Another 'Most Difficult' day complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment