What's in a name?

Haddy Nuff?  Me too.  That's why I chose it as my blogger name.  After 20 years of education and nearly 30 years spent in the corporate world I decided I had enough.  Time to do something else, or nothing, or whatever comes along.  This blog is dedicated to living life one day at a time - and trying my best to make the most of it.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heat Wave...sort of

I know this borders on being evil, but I can't resist.

The southern states and east coast have been suffering under a series of oppressive heat waves. Temperatures today in New York, Philly, D.C. and points south were headed towards triple digits. Up here in the mountains we've been feeling the heat as well with temperatures reaching well into the 80's. What to do?!!!

A couple of days ago Deb, Tucker and I invited another family to join us on a hike along Otter Creek. As we trudged along the trail under a canopy of oaks, maples and birches listening to
the creek running alongside the trail we found ourselves drawn to the stream on several occasions to simply sit on a cool rock or take off our shoes and splash around in a small pool.


That evening another friend called and asked if I'd like to go for an bike ride in the morning. So, I dragged myself out of bed early enough to join him on a morning ride through the Wildlife Refuge in the north end of the Valley. We endured the humid morning air, occasional stream crossing, and open areas where we had to battle the soft morning breezes. More than one occasion we were forced to lay our bikes down in the damp dew and pick handfuls of plumb sweet blueberries in and effort to lift our spirits.



If you look back to my Feb. 14 post you'll find a similar view across the Refuge under somewhat different weather conditions.

Yet another friend called me this past evening looking for a means to escape this terrible weather we've been having; so this morning he, Tucker, and I headed up the Red Creek Trail in the Dolly Sods Wilderness to find some relief. More hiking and cool stream pools to endure.



I sure hope this weather breaks soon. I'm not sure how much more of this I can stand!


No comments:

Post a Comment