What's in a name?

Haddy Nuff?  Me too.  That's why I chose it as my blogger name.  After 20 years of education and nearly 30 years spent in the corporate world I decided I had enough.  Time to do something else, or nothing, or whatever comes along.  This blog is dedicated to living life one day at a time - and trying my best to make the most of it.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

After the Snow

Tucker and I visited one of my favorite spots, Blackbird Knob and the Left Fork of Red Creek in the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area. I've visited this area numerous times over the years - used to camp here with the boys when they were little - and even brought a boy scout troop here once.

The walk in is down a rocky ridge through an extensive mountain laurel thicket.
.

The creek .

Tucker and I explored around the north side of Blackbird Knob where a beaver pond is known to exist. I was curious how they made out after our long cold winter. Six weeks after our last serious snow, and even after several weeks of 70 degree weather, we still found some deep drifts of snow lying up against the hemlock and spruce stands.

The pond is in great shape. I'm sure they were quite warm all winter in their huge lodge.

Tucker explored the dam which extends for well over 150 yards and is 3 feet high.

We didn't see any of the beavers (perhaps if we go back and spend a night?), but we did see a mallard making use of their pond.

And noticed some future inhabitants (and mallard food) getting ready to hatch (frog eggs).

No comments:

Post a Comment